Tuesday, March 22, 2011

About Lady

This is a totally non scrappy post so I understand if some of you choose to opt out.

 I have been asked to write a small story, a happy "tail", about Lady.  It is for the Alberta Dachshund Rescue newsletter.  I adopted Lady through this society.  I have decided to post this on my blog so I will have a record of the story of Lady.

(I promise there will be no pictures of dogs in hats. hee hee)


The Story of Lady

Lady's story starts off sad but ends on a very happy note.  She was abandoned out in the country, along with her four Chihuahua friends, this past August.  Luckily, a kind passerby initiated the rescue of this precious pack and they all came to Sheri at the ADR.  After all necessary health procedures, Lady was ready for her next journey.

Lady landed in an amazing foster home.  Here she had the love of Nadine and her little Dachshund friend, Abby.  She was bought a special little stool which she loved to sit on. (Abby had one too!)  Nadine started teaching Lady things like doing stairs, walking on a leash, going potty outside and that most people are good.

Lady came to my home in early November.  Here she joined my pack.  Gus is a 6 year old Poodle/Bichon cross and Maggie is a 5 year old Bichon/Schitzu cross.  Lady, my little poodle with just a hint of Chihuahua ( I think) makes three!!

When Lady first arrived, she was a very shy girl.  I am sure that yet another change was hard on her.  She was missing Abby.  I knew that this would be her forever home and the last major change that she would have to face.  She would sit with her head hanging low and liked to sit alone in her kennel.  Gentle invites to join the family helped.  Lady was very stressed and jumped at the smallest sound.  She didn't enjoy walks.  Between having the leash on and hearing sudden noises, it was a stressful event for her.  She didn't like venturing out to the backyard and so I would carry her and stay with her.  She refused to join Gus and Maggie in the best part of the day - morning cuddle time in my bed.

Lady soon decided that I was the one person who she could trust.  She still wasn't sure of my husband and daughter and was nervous if anyone came into the house.  After three weeks of my husband being the sole "treat giver", Lady decided that he was a good guy.  My daughter won her over by giving her the best head massages.  Still one of Lady's favourite things!

It was so amazing to watch Lady's progress over time.  Before we knew it, she was with the family.  She was running up a flight of stairs in a flash.  She was relaxed on her walks, sniffing and enjoying the outdoors.  She was happy to join the pack in the backyard for potty time.  She knew that morning bed cuddling time was the best!

Lady's kennel used to be a huge part of her world.  Even as she left it more, she would hoard away stuffies and other items that she would find around the house - usually plastic containers from the recycling bin. ;)  These days, her kennel is where she sleeps at night and might take a nap in during the day.  Her stuffies now sit in her bed.  We think that she thinks they are her babies.  She doesn't spend as much time moving them around and organizing them.

Lady is thriving!  She is a healthy weight. She is a happy girl whose tail wags if I even look at her.  She is enjoying life!  She is the most affectionate dog I have had.  We are making up for all the love she missed out on in her earlier days.  She is still cautious of people that she doesn't know but, given time for that person to prove that they are gentle, she is their new best friend.

We have learned some interesting things about Lady.  She loves all dogs.  She stops and greets every dog that we meet on our walks.  She is a snorer!  How can a little Poodle out snore a grown man?  She loves toast.  She just has to hear the toaster and she comes running.  She is a pushy girl.  She lets us know that she is needing some love by putting her paw on our faces.  Yes, dominating us.  What would Cesar Milan say? ;)  Lastly, Lady is my crafting assistant.  She likes to sit on my shoulder as I knit.  If I am at my craft table scrapbooking, she sits on my lap.

I want to send out a big thank you to all of the people who had a hand in helping Lady on her journey.  I so appreciate all of your work and effort.  I feel very blessed to have this wonderful little pup in my life.  She adds so much to our pack and family and we love her dearly.



Happy Scrapping!!  Jen :)

4 comments:

  1. Great story, Jen. She is a great little dog and I always enjoy her antics when I'm at your place each week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my ! what a sweet sweet story , Jenn ! Lady is so blessed and so are you ! lol .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenn, this is a beautiful story and Lady is so cute! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's such a lovely story, Jen. :) Thank you for sharing it with us and with the ADS - hopefully it will help to get some more dogs rescued! This would make great journaling on a page! It would take up most of the page, I know, but it's so heartfelt that it would be awesome to showcase it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...