Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A Glimpse of Light, Twine and Staples!

Susan and I think we saw it today.... just a glimpse.  No, it wasn't the sun.  It is still winter here with snow again today. :(  The glimpse was the light at the end of the tunnel...... the album is coming to the end!  Not that we aren't enjoying working on this but, we find we are getting sick of working with the same basic lines of paper with the same colour palette.  We can't believe the dent that we have put in the paper supply. This also means that lots of the good stuff is used up.  There is some pretty busy paper that is hard to work with left to use.

Today we each finished a LO.  Susan has brought one home to do for "homework" and I have one that is in it's beginning stages that I will finish this week.  We only have about 3 more meetings to finish this project!  Next up will be to put together an 8x8 album that my mother can fill with her 4x6 photos from her celebration.

Here are some peeks.  I bought a new lattice punch yesterday and love the springtime fresh look of this.




I would like to share my thoughts on twine.  I have a new respect and am totally in awe of scrappers who rock twine!!  I see LO's by Sarah and Kim where their twine seems to float beautifully throughout their LO's guiding the viewer's eye easily through the page. It seems to curl in the perfect spots and their bows are perfect!  Hmmm  My twine doesn't look like this.  My bows seem to twist and the twine tails just hang. :(  Is there a twine stiffening agent that I am unaware of?

Next I tried to figure out how people adhere twine to their pages.  Some twine seems to mysteriously stick to the page.  Is it invisible glue?  Imagining the mess I could make with glue, I decided to invest in a Tim Holtz mini stapler.  After I bought it, I realized that Michael's sells it and I could have gotten it cheaper with a 40% off coupon.  :(  I decided that I had better stock up on staples in case they suddenly stopped making them, rendering my stapler useless.  Apparently, I never read the fine print on things.  Each box contains 1550 staples. Hmm 1500x2 boxes plus the 100 that came with the stapler equals.... a whole lot of staples!!  So I have some serious stapling to get done. ;) Mind you, I did order a life time supply of twine so maybe this is alright.  The stapler only goes into the page a few inches, so twine needing to be stapled needs to be strategically placed.  Susan pointed out that my staples where not sitting at equal angles. Opps  I pulled them out and started again.  Thankfully, mini staples leave mini holes so I decided to consider this a "distressing" technique.  (I'm an artist! hee hee) 

Needless to say, I have some learning to do about twine and stapling.  Is there a "Stapling 101" class or "Twine Usage for Dummies" book?  Any tips on this subject would be very much appreciated.  I really need to rock these supplies so my big sister and husband stop laughing at me! ;) 

I'm hoping to get some more scrapping done this week.  I have made a couple of visits to the LSS this past week and am wanting to play with some new stuff.  It was definitely easier to say that I would not buy new stuff, before all the new goodies hit the shelves. ;)  Time to get back on track!

Happy Scrapping!!  Jen :)

14 comments:

  1. Oh friend, you make me laugh! There is no secret, just an insane obsession that has resulted in practice? Sure, that sounds good! I have lots of little holes and half bits of Zots showing through, but I ignore those because they don't show up in the pictures of the page! In the meantime, I would love to know how Kim attaches hers! Her twine seems to float on the page! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it attached or is it not? Only the artist knows for sure!!!! I myself have wondered the same. I've also tried to loop and curl it, but it never seems to work!!! I do though have one tip to share. If you lightly dampen it and wrap it around a pencil and let it dry, it will be curly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so bitter-sweet when a project comes to an end, isn't it? I can't wait to see the full reveal! In terms of the twine, I'd be inclined to try Glossy Accents or a similar adhesive that dries clear...but I'm with you - I always seem to stick my hand in anything wet on my pages! You've definitely got a lot of staples there...maybe you'll be able to come up with some creative stapling techniques! I can't wait to see what you come up with! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, when is your parents anniversary??? I am dieing to see your album that you two have been working on!!! I would like to know how some people can thread that twine through buttons!! My button holes must be much smaller!! Because I can't get it through without it unraveling. My twine I have tied it around things. I haven't taken it across the whole page. I can't wait to see what you end up coming up with! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hehehee if you knew how many hours it took for my twine to look just right...well you wouldn't believe me, some of the twine I use is abit stiffer and I sometimes dab a bit of glue eg pritt and run it a long the string......

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL Jen!! I sure had a lot of fun today where the staples and twine we're concerned!! Laughing that makes tears run is always a good thing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jennifer, these sneaks are so very pretty. I LOVE that fresh, yellow bird paper! Twine I love to use, but I kind of chicken out a bit by mainly tying it through the holes in a button. Nothing too fancy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You made me laugh!!!!!! fast grab tacky glue by Aileen works BEST for twine, perfect every time. Can't wait to see your album!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heehee...you made me laugh out loud...thanks for that. I also use pritt and smear it along the twine and then stick it down. Loving all the sneaks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so can't wait to see the final album!! What I have seen so far is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for making me laugh this morning Jennifer. Just what I needed! :)
    The sneaks look fab. Can't wait to see the rest.
    I'm with you on the staple and twine journey. Have got a lot to learn. Lol! Will be watching your every move...
    Have a great weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Jennifer sounds like you, the twine, and the stapler have been having a good ole time. I haven't really worked with twine much but as I was reading the thought hit me what if you used a little bit of starch. I used to use starch on ribbon and shape it when still wet and then when it dried it was stiff. Can't wait to see all the pages you and your sister have been doing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thats fabulous that you're much on schedule with the 50th Anni project ! woot ! I didnt realise that part about twine ! maybe that's why I don't use it so much - I know i have used it with staplers on layouts too !

    ReplyDelete
  14. great new look on the blog and I understand you were the one behind the "techie" design of the tabs at the top. Very nice, now I can just click a tab and scroll through your designs to get my inspiration fix!! Hope you have a great weekend....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...