Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Should I be Crossing Stitches?

A recent post found on Sian's blog has me thinking about cross stitching.  I have been neglecting this passion of mine for some time.  The scrapping is part of the reason along with these old eyes of mine.  ;)  I now own a handy pair of high power magnifying glasses in a trendy black and orange frame.  These should do the trick.  Vanity prevents me from sharing a photo of myself sporting these but, I will say that Dame Edna has nothing on me!!  ;)

I started a sampler done all in red in 2008.  I am close to being done.  After reading about Sian's project, I dug it out to show Susan.  Sian expressed an interest in seeing my red sampler, so here it is!



I have always been a sucker for samplers.  It is something about the order of them, I suppose.  The magazine that I found this pattern in, gave a bit of a history.  This sampler is based on one done in the 1800's.  Apparently, young girls would have to complete these as part of their schooling.  It helped them to learn their alphabet but more importantly, taught them to be excellent stitchers.  Young orphans would often use their samplers as a kind of resume to show future employers how neatly they could stitch, as these girls often went into domestic service.  These samplers were often done all in red.  I read somewhere that it had something to do with there being a great supply of red dye and therefore it was cheap.  It is always interesting to learn why things were popular at a certain point in time.  I remember reading that women, at some point, stitched mostly on paper as linens were scarce.  Maybe it was during some wartime.

Here is a glimpse of what it will look like completed.


Aside from scrapping,  I am currently knitting up a set of dishcloths for Lisa's friend who is moving into her first home.  Once these are done I am planning on working on my red sampler a little each night. :)

Happy Scrapping!!  Jen :)

4 comments:

  1. It's really beautiful, Jen. I've always been attracted to samplers too but have never done one. Good for you for wanting to finish yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous sampler!!! I like you have several unfinished cross stitch projects! I have a sampler I started years ago - maybe I should find it and finish it also!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it Jen! You are a girl of many talents!! I used to cross stitch myself but that was before I was scrapbooker! Would love to see you sampler finished! Good luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's gorgeous! Thank you so much for letting us see. There is something so lovely about the one colour look. I'm another one who cross stitched before scrapbooking. I made a wedding sampler from a Jo Verso book, I must see if I can find that now.

    I'm right there with you on the eyes thing. How my mum managed to do what she did in just her everyday glasses I'm not sure!

    Thanks Jen, I love it

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...