Monday, June 13, 2011

A LO, An Old Reader and my Missing Mojo

I have a LO to share using Liz's sketch this week at The Scrappiest.  A fun linear sketch with a little bit of circular elements.


I love this photo of little Thomas.  I can see my brother's eyes in him here.


After spending some time on the Studio Calico blog, I was inspired to use some SC papers as well as tones of papers that they seem to feature in their kits.  Love the gentle muted palette of anything SC.  The background paper is from Sassafras Lass and I love the originality of it.  A perfect starter sheet.

My mojo has been MIA as of late. :(  Not sure if it has something to do with beautiful weather, but I just don't seem to have the urge to sit in the basement and be creative.  I have been spending lots of time blogging and getting ideas of what I could create.  The creating part just hasn't quite happened yet. ;)  I did however get as far as making a few embellishments today.

Do you have one of these laying around your house?


This reader was used in grade three back in the 70's.  Sometimes the school would sell off discarded readers.  I even remember my mother buying Susan and I each an old wooden school desk.  I think she paid $5 for each of them.  Susan painted her desk white and painted pictures and sayings to decorate it.  Mine sat old and scratched up looking.  What can I say, I like me some shabby chic! ;)

Anyway, back on topic.  These readers can be used to make wonderful embellishments, if you can bring yourself to cutting one up.   I have a duplicate of this book so it wasn't as hard to wreck this one.  Here's what I made.


The scrunched flowers were easily made using the text sheets.  I didn't even have to ink the edges.  The lollipop flowers were made using illustrated sheets with a similar colour palette.  Some of the illustrations were so cute that I thought it would be nice to just punch them out with my 2'' circular punch.  Mounting them on some kraft and adding a sewn on button gives them a bit of interest.  They could be the beginning of a fun cluster or the perfect answer to a circular element on a sketch.  Hey, why pay Jenni Bowin for a vintage vibe when you can make your own.  Having said that, I did run down to the LSS on Saturday morning after receiving an email saying that the new stuff was in. ;)

Hoping your mojo is alive and kicking and that mine soon returns to me.

Happy Scrapping!!  Jen :)

14 comments:

  1. Great take on the sketch...such a sweet layout! I love those homemade embellishments too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loove your take on this week sketch,what a sweet and cute LO!!!
    The other Lo is so creative and lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful LO and I love those handmade embellishments! Perhaps you'd like to throw a few pages of that book my way so I could make some? ;-) The only old reader I have in the house is the one we used to read under the blankets with a flashlight when I was in Grade 2 and there's no way I'm cutting into that one!! Too many memories there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great page! I love the SC stuff too! You should consider their monthly kit. The boards are super friendly too! Wonderful idea using that old reader as inspiration. I would vote that the weather is a draw. It can be hard, long winters, so get out while you can! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with you on the mojo. I have not created anything but required assignments. I would much rather be outside!! It was a long winter this year!!! Having said that... I can't believe your mojo is gone!! That LO is wonderful!!! I love all the bits and pieces and layers. Thomas is just so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooooo yeah!!! I love those embellies yo u have made Jennifer, and the photos in that layout are just way too fabulous...Oh and your layout aint half bad either LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was about to say that I wasn't sure I could bring myself to cut up that lovely old book - but then I saw what you had made and you converted me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful layout - I agree that Studio Calico always has a very pleasing color palette. I miss subscribing to their kits.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that LO! The background paper is such a great base for the three photos. :) And as for the embellishments...yes, I do have one of those! It's a reader from the 50s that I've already started to cut up - but I never thought of the circle embellies! Brilliant! I'm going to have to try that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your take on the sketch. The background is fabulous. Loving all the muted tones too :)

    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fab take on this week's sketch with all the SC ! & how adorable are those reader embellies !!! woot ! you make it look so easy !

    ReplyDelete
  12. This layout is GORGEOUS!!!! Love all the little details & those pics :) Great handmade embellies too :) I have been so intrigued by the smash book but haven't taken the plunge - I really like what you are doing (in your earlier post) with you own stash - I may have to venture into this :) Beautiful work as always girl - it was so good to catch up on your blog - it has been so long since I have been able to blog hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Newest follower here,wowee this is so lovely perfect colours and gorgeous photo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful layout...and I love your handmade embellishments.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...