Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Stockings Were Hung ...


Well sort of.  It is a Christmas miracle!  I have finished knitting my hand knit socks.  Here is what I have learned.

(1)  There is a lot of work that goes into knitting one pair of socks.  I am in awe of the pioneer women who came before us and too bad we have two feet to knit for.

(2)  When a pattern says that you only need two balls of their wool, they may be wrong.

(3)  Wool that you buy on sale last summer may not be available to buy the following winter.  :(

(4)  Substituting black wool to complete your sock toe may lead to problems while trying to do a "kitchener" stitch to close your toe.  It is almost impossible to see what you are doing when you work with black yarn.

(5)  A simple "kitchener" stitch can lead to a loopy tangled mess that you want to throw out of your kitchen patio into the slough.

(6)  Big sisters who have a history of fixing their little sister's mistakes continue to do so in their adult life.  Susan to the rescue fixing my loopy tangled mess!  :)  (Susan had to put the zipper in a skirt I made as a teenager when we went to a sewing class.  I never would have finished it. )

(7)  When you complain to a yarn company that their pattern did not work, they feel sorry for you and send you three balls of sock wool even though they believe that their pattern is right and you just really suck at knitting socks.

(8)  I must have really skinny feet.  These socks too fit me like "sloppers"!  :(   Yes they will have to be worn over my socks as a kind of sloppy slipper.  :(

(9)  Knitters who don't suck take the time to check their gauge.  I think I might knit a bit loosely?

(10)  Bargain bags of socks purchased from Costco are a sweet deal and sound good enough for me!!!


I have come to the conclusion that although I have accomplished this task and can scratch it off my bucket list ( I joke) I am not a sock knitter and will not continue this sock knitting journey.  The free wool will be passed along to Susan, along with the two balls of sock wool that I picked up for 79 cents each.  Score!  Susan on the other hand,  is loving this new journey.  I see a future of delicately knit socks that match every colour of top or blouse she wears, almost like Rose from "Two and a Half Men".

Happy Scrapping!!  Jen  :)

5 comments:

  1. LOL They look great, even though they are a bit big. And yes, you do have REALLY skinny feet. I had the feeling yours would be loose because mine, even though they basically fit, could be a bit more snug. You know, third time's a charm - are you sure you don't want to try just once more? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teehee tooooo fuuny Jennifer...I have never knitted a thing in my life and I think I never will!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I love your sloppers!!! such a funny name!! I am glad you had fun with it.. or it sounds that way. Glad you have a big sis who is still willing to help fix things. I hope you and Susan have been well. Been MIA for a few weeks.... Merry Christmas!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they look great too! And I love your thinking - a very enjoyable post to read, it really got me laughing. Merry Christmas to you and yours Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, this post made me giggle! I think you did awesome...and since this nice weather can't possibly last forever, I'm sure that they'll come in handy for layering during frosty dog-walks! I think they're cute! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...