Thursday, January 26, 2012

Tales of a Yarn Hoarder

It seems that my tendency to hoard crafting supplies has taken a new direction.  I do admit to being a paper hoarder and I do admit to buying more sale yarn than I can possibly use.  I can rationalize these behaviours.  Paper is cheap and as for the yarn, when I find that I have too much, I pass it on to knitters in my family to knit up woolies for charity.  Four knitters can get more done than one!  It is a win win.  I get the immediate gratification of buying wool on sale and more people get to stay warm during our chilly Canadian winters.  It all made sense until....  I discovered the $2 yarn bin at Michael's.

The $2 yarn bin is every yarn hoarder/ bargain hunters dream.  It is a huge bin where they place balls of wool that have lost their labels and are looking a little bit mangled.  Oh, I do love this bin.  Not sure if I feel that I am rescuing a reject but as I approach,   I get excited at the thought of picking through and looking for yarn treasure!  It really is a hit and a miss.  Some days it will have all of two balls of really cheap wool in lovely colours such as dusty rose and maroon.  Yuck!  Then other days, I hit the jackpot!  Yesterday was one of these days.  Yay!

This is what I got for a grand total of $10.  Score!


I can't believe they only charged me $2 for that huge coral coloured ball.  My first idea was to use these yarns for my charity knits.  Then once I really looked at them all together I realized that they were such a beautiful fall palette together.  These yarns are being saved for when I learn how to knit granny squares.  What an awesome blanket this will be!  When I got home, I rummaged through the yarn stash and pulled other balls that work well into this palette.  Now I have a big bag of yarn just waiting to be crocheted...... once I figure out how to crochet that is.  ;)  Hmm  Now I need to find a home for this addition.


As if this bargain didn't just make my day, I decided to peek into my LSS.  Upon entering,  I asked if they had got in the new BG line, "Kissing Booth".  No they hadn't but.... all BG stock was 50% off.  What?  Score again!!  I picked up two collection packs ( Little Black Dress & Indie Bloom) for $13.50 each!  I am one happy camper.  "Indie Bloom" is really bright and busy but I am excited for the challenge to work with it.  I bought "Little Black Dress" to use the "B" sides for background papers.  I love pre-CHA sales!!



So that is my story.  Now not only do I need to try to avoid the LSS but also the magnetic pull of going to Michael's to look in that $2 bin.  ;)  It is a slippery slope for me.  Where will I store all of these yarns if I can't stay away?  Will I end up being on an episode of Hoarders?  So many crafts.  So little time.  {sigh}

Hope your crafty day is going well!

Happy Scrapping!!  Jen  :)

6 comments:

  1. Great yarn! The afghan will be really nice. Just wait until you start crocheting those granny squares - they're really addictive too. Yes, so many crafts, so little time. sigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so funny. What you picked up in the discount yarn bin all work so well together. I can't wait to see what you make with it. No new scrappy purchases here. Feeling a bit like a hoarder's episode as I sit here and look around my scrappy room. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely know the feeling! Thank you for letting me share the fun of your bargains - it might hold me off until I go shopping tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a knitter - but I can so relate to the excitement of any crafty bargain! (and the BG of course)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a feeling that most of us crafters have an addictive personality that is why we hoard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for crafty bargains!! I've never noticed a similar bin at my Micheal's, but I'll have to look more closely!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...