Saturday, July 21, 2012

A Challenge

A few days ago while wondering around my local LSS I came upon a new challenge.  This is how it works.  Every month the store puts together a kit for purchase.  The challenge is to make a one page LO with the enclosed supplies and whatever punches or diecuts you may own.  Once the creation is completed it is brought back to the store where it is displayed.  The customers all vote on their favourite.  The winner wins something towards next month's kit.  Not sure if it is a coupon towards or a full kit.  Either way, this totally twigged my interest.  I love a challenge and I love the idea of doing something scrappy within my community.

Here is the kit.


Here is my LO.  I used one of my own sketches, as I wasn't sure if using an online sketch was allowed.


I have to say that it was some fun having a pile of goodies in front of me that someone else compiled.  I did add one piece of white card stock and some floss.  This challenge really encouraged me to find the potential in each of the supplies.  The only things that I didn't use were the small flowers ( no surprise there) and the chipboard from the tiny clipboards.

I cut clouds from the OA paper and pop dotted them onto the map circular element.  I cut out a strip from the Sassafra stamp patterned paper to resemble a book of stamps.  I stitched over the pink lines with red floss as I did not want pink in this LO.  I stitched a bit of yellow as I wanted to bring in this colour element and couldn't reach for a supply from my stash.


I used the clip from the chipboard clipboards and used some ribbon supplied in the kit.  I never use ribbon so this was a welcome change!  I used the transparency from the stamp and puched it out and layered it over a sunburst.  Good old lollipop flowers always make a big statement on a LO!


I decided to use the postcard reading, "happiness" as part of my title.  As not to waste the fun border element, I cut it up to use the off cuts elsewhere.  I wanted to be true to the kit and not reach for Thickers so I decided to use my Cricut to cut out the alphas.  To incorporate the use of the stamp into the design, I stamped overlapping onto one of the papers and then cut out the letters.  I love the random and original look of the alphas.  The banners are hand cut from the Girl's Paperie sheet.


So there you have it.  A fun scrappy time and one very patterned and busy LO as the end result!  Makes this scrapper happy!

Happy Scrapping!!  Jen  :)

14 comments:

  1. THis is a fabulous layout! I love the idea of this kit "club". One of the scrapbook stores here used to do that...I think it is good marketing for them and for those of us with blogs.
    You have a great blog post...they have increased sales from the competition and you have to chance to win a new kit...I think you just might be that winner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great layout Jen!!! I looove it!!! And what a great idea from you LSS.I´m just beginning with a new layout....lot of time not making one!!!
    About yarn well I just made a trip to Buenos Aires Argentina and they sell very good mohair and so cheap about USD5.- per 100 grs. I bought many nice colours but I still don´t have any idea what I will make with them LOL!!! I want to see your new yarns!!! I´ll post some of my newest on my next post...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh so fun! That sounds like a great way to use things differently! Your page turned out so well too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great page. My LSS used to do something similar but discontinued for some reason. And you know that I think kits are completely addictive. Great page you pulled together from that kit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh, that's great. I love the title alpha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great page and a fun challenge too!! I always like having to come up with a layout using random supplies :) I love the red stitching and the popped up clouds on your page! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea - best of luck with the competition. You have a fine chance with that lovely page!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a cool idea by your LSS! You have made a great page with those goodies!!! Such a great mix of patterns and colors. I love your title. I have been trying to pull out my cricut machine more as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a fun idea, Jennifer!! I do an all day crop once a year and there is usually a challenge similar to that, but I've never seen it done actually in the store. You put together an awesome page and I love those fun flowers you made with the polka dot paper!! Your page would definitely get my vote! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous layout you made of your little lady. I am sure that you have a good chance of winning this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. you have certainly rocked this challenge I am lovin your layered circel flowers!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just catching up with my blog-reading. Good luck with the challenge - I think you might be onto a winner with such cute clouds and those lollipop style flowers :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW what a gorgeous lo!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was just down at the store today and saw your layout on the wall! Loved it and voted for it, even though I didn't know it was yours! Hope you win! She told me that the winner will get the next months kit for free!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...