Monday, October 15, 2012

Around Here....

.... fall is in the air.  Although it is a glorious warm and sunny afternoon, the nights soon get chilly and we have had our share of some gloomy and wet days.  There was a time when I disliked this season.  For me, it meant that winter was just around the corner.  It amazes me how I didn't see the beauty of autumn or even winter, for that matter.  Now I appreciate all four seasons but,  I think that fall is now my most favourite time of the year.  I love the low sun, the crisp sunny days, the crunching of leaves under my feet and most of all the ever changing colours of the foliage.  I love that with fall comes more time for hiding out in the basement with Rob and knitting while he watches football.  I love that it is a time of year with less expectation of productivity and more time to enjoy the ones who are important to us.

I have been celebrating the season with my annual purchase of a Mum and some pumpkins!  I never end up carving these for Halloween.  By the time the end of the month rolls around we have often had some chilly temperatures that have turned them to mush.


For the first year ever I bought a Chinese Lantern Plant.


I only discovered them a couple of years back planted on a restaurant patio.


The little lanterns contain a berry inside.  I plan on eventually taking some of these lanterns inside for decoration.  Apparently they can look like this!

I found this image on Google.

I had to chuckle when Lisa was leaving, after a visit last week,  and commented how she liked that I was growing a "pumpkin tree".  I guess they do kind of look like miniature pumpkins.

I am also loving orange inside the house these days.  Not sure what kind of tropical plant this is.  We picked it up at the greenhouse and likely should have enrolled in the free class to learn how to care for it.  I am sure that the ladies at the greenhouse would not agree with it sitting next to the kitchen door where the pups go in and out all day.   I really need to find a warmer home for this beauty.


The knitting needles are still clicking away.  I am still making my favourite hat pattern for my charity hats.

This trio is made using my favourite Lion Brand yarn, "Vanna's Choice".   Ohhhhhh, Vanna.  ;)



This hat was made using a trick that my mother-in-law showed me.  When using a worsted weight wool that seems on the thinner side, add a ball of baby wool and knit the two strands together.  It yields a thick, warm hat and I love the tweed look it achieves.


I was lucky enough to get my hands on some Martha Stewart merino wool at Michael's this weekend for about 80% off.  Well worth $2.99 for 50g  but I sure wouldn't have paid $10.50.  Yikes!  Anything with Martha's blessing seems so pricey.


 I am loving the classic "Martha" colours.


I also bought some of her alpaca blend thick wool at the same sale.  Score!  I am hoping to knit up some scarves next.

I'll leave you with a glimpse of my little knitting assistants.  They love knitting days because it means that there is lots of cuddle time on the sofa.


Gus's passing has brought these two girlies closer together.  I guess dogs hang out together by nature, so when their favourite was gone, they had no choice but to stick together.  I still see the empty space where Gus should be when I see these two together.  I am missing my little guy today because I dreamt of him early this morning.  I was at the vet's office and one of the techs was showing me a video clip that she had recorded of Gus and Lady playing together.  In the dream it made me cry.  It has left me missing him.  These little ones sure do get into our hearts and they stay there for many years after they have gone.  Well, enough of my being sappy.  ;)

Hope you are all enjoying some creative time these days.

Jen

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts here on your blog. I tend to stop here once in a great while for some of your layering scrappy goodness. Even though there was none today I enjoyed your post.
    My hometown is on Lake Erie and really miss it in the Fall. We get cooler weather here but not all the beautiful trees.
    Also,thank you for making those wonderful knit hats. My sister wore those kinds donated by wonderful women like you, when she was going through Chemo.
    I also understand about losing a fur baby. We just almost lost one of ours and it is very traumatizing. I'm glad your other two are honkering down together as Winter approaches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful hats!
    Glad your two remaining fur balls are staying close to give you lots of hugs and cuddles!
    Your fall stoop look great...We used to live near the Crowsnest border in Elkford Bc...my pumkins would freeze too! The Chinese lantern though is pretty hardy...it looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love your pumpkin tree. ;) I am with Lisa, it kinda does look like a pumpkin tree. :) My favorite season is fall. I too love the color, crunching of leaves. I do love the cooler weather. I dread the winter though. It is too cold for my liking and I like being outside and find it tougher to be outside. I have found the beauty in winter, captured a few shots here and there on the camera, here and there. Still the least favorite of the seasons. Of course, the photos still need to be put to a page. Sorry you are missing Gus so much lately. Yes, our furry members do worm their way into our hearts. Greg and I both have been missing our Sheltie, Sammy; and our kitty we had to put down 2.5 yrs ago. I think your hats are beautiful. You always choose such pretty colors for them. Oh and speaking of weather... tomorrow - high of 68. Thursday, they are predicting rain, snow, sleet. I think I better make the most of tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love to see photos from your home and surrounds.What cute and sweet hats!!! Love those yarns too. I finished my cotton sweater!!! and I´ve to take a picture to show it on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. stunning photos as always Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A simply lovely celebration of my favourite time of year, what could be nicer?

    You are a great bargain hunter - wool seems to me to be getting comparatively more and more expensive. I'm sure my Mum wasn't paying, relatively, these kinds of prices when she was knitting for us years ago

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am always amazed to see the bright autumn colors on the US and Canada blogs. The extreme weather change from summer to winter probably does that. Gorgeous photos Jennifer...and you seem to be very productive with those knitting needles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos and gorgeous knitting Jennifer. You've certainly been busy. Always fun visiting your blog. xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...