Monday, November 5, 2012

The Red Sampler and Zombies

Remember this.....


It's the red sampler that I started back in 2008.  As with most projects that I start, I eventually lose interest and it gets stashed away until a later date.  It was so exciting to pick it back up in 2010 and finish it but alas, it was once again stashed away awaiting framing.  Although cross stitching is an inexpensive hobby, it is the framing that gets you in the pocketbook!  Another reason I was procrastinating was because I didn't know of a reputable framer.  Years ago I knew of a lady who lived out in the rural area of Wetaskiwin, where we lived.  She was economical and did an amazing job.   She is no longer in business.  :(  After putting hours of work into the red sampler I was afraid to bring it for framing only to be disappointed.

It turns out that the framing and art gallery in our local mall guarantees their cross stitch framing within 1/16 of an inch.  I figured that I couldn't go wrong!

So here it is!


A photo to put it in perspective within the house.  It sits in our front entrance area.


I am thrilled with the finished product.   So happy in fact that I brought another cross stitch, which I completed in 1997 for a house we were moving into then,  and had it framed.  I'll try to post a photo of that one at a later date.  I get too much glare in the room at this time of day.

And the moral of this blog post is, Better late than never.

Oh yes, I promised you some zombies.  ;)  Lisa and her boyfriend love anything "zombie".  Zombie movies and that television show, "The Walking Dead", are big hits with them.  Not surprising that for Halloween they decided to go to a house party as a zombie couple.  Lisa calls this photo, Zombie Attack.


I can't wait to scrap this photo.  It was a very inexpensive costume as Lisa and her friend, Hailey, did all the make-up effects using school glue, toilet paper and thick, fake blood.  They took old jeans and bought plaid shirts at the thrift store.  Before tearing and bloodying the clothes they took them outside and rolled them in the snow and then dragged them in the dirt.

Here is the group.


I asked Lisa if she would come and do make-up for me next Halloween.  I'd love to answer the door looking like that!  We could leave Rob "normal" to answer for the small children.  It might be fun.

Jen

6 comments:

  1. Oh those photos are too fun!!! I hope Lisa had a fun time at her Halloween party!! I can't wait to see what you do with these photos!! Your sampler turned out beautifully!!! Yes, the framing is what gets you. I have had a handful framed and have gone to Michael's using their coupon and never had a problem with my projects. Though I do have to have my Christmas one fixed. I took it down after Christmas and the kids knocked it over breaking the glass in the corner. :( I really want to get that house one I posted on my blog finished and hung up in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen,those photos are hilarious!!! and what a pretty cross stitch picture!!!
    Thank you so much for your words about my sweaters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Red Sampler looks amazing Jennifer! It was worth the wait I would say. I used to do cross stitching years ago and really enjoyed it. Should take it up again.
    Love the Halloween photos. Can't wait to see what you do with it. I'm even more interested in next year's photos of you looking like that. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Red Samplers looks great. A friend of mine always says that anything creative isn't art until it is framed and I agree with her. Those zombies look seriously scary:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet everyone who comes intop the house stops to admire that sampler - it is stunning, really stunning in its red finery..

    ..kind of like th zombies who look magnificently blood spattered and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ps - I love your new blog background

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...