Sunday, December 30, 2012

Top 12 in 2012 & Hello 2013

It is hard to believe that there is only one day left of 2012.  I can't really say that this year flew by.  It has not been one of my favourite years and harder times usually make the days drag on.  It was a year of loss in many ways.  My father-in-law, George,  passed away in February.  My mother lost her freedom and mobility after her stroke on the very same day that we lost George.  On that day, my mother-in -law,  as well as my father faced the huge change of living alone after decades of living with their spouses.  On a much lesser note, we lost our dog, Gus,  in August.  But... I refuse to only see the negative of 2012.  There was lots of good stuff to be thankful and appreciative for.

2012 is the year that we sold the condo and got back into a home with a yard.  I appreciate every day that I get to live in this house that I feel so comfortable and happy in.  I watch the birds feed in the bird feeder and feel a sense of peace and joy.  I have spent another year with my honey and enjoyed lots of good times and lots of laughing.  It has been another year of having my sister, Susan, live in my neck of the woods.  This means crafting time together, chats on the phone and lots of crafty and charity plans.  For this I am so grateful.  This year has both of my girls happy and healthy.  They are enjoying their careers, for the most part.  ;)  They are both in relationships with young fellows who I hope will each one day be my son-in law.  They have the love and support of their boyfriends' families who are both strong and caring units.  This year I have enjoyed the company of Miss Maggie May following me around constantly and wedged up against me as I knit, blog or watch television.  I have also awoken each morning to a very happy little poodle named Lady.  She starts each morning wagging her little tail and thrilled for whatever the day will bring.  She cuddles up to me as usually only puppies do, rubbing her head into the crook of my neck.  On a more universal note,  this year I enjoyed and appreciated this peaceful country that I live in as well as the beauty that each of our seasons brings us each day, even if some of these days have been chillier and snowier lately.  ;)  We are never promised only happy days in our lives.  The saying, "this too shall pass" also applies to the great days ending and some sadder days coming along but, if we look hard enough we can still find the silver lining of each day.  Life is good.

It is at this time that I like to reflect on how I did with my resolutions and goals of the year.  I had a simple list this past year with only three thoughts.

(1)  Learn how to crochet granny squares.  This I accomplished with the help of Susan.  I am about half way done making squares for my afghan and plan on picking up this project again early in the new year. {check}

(2)  Write every day.  I started off with a journal but soon found that I was boring myself.  I figured that I do write most days with blogging.  Then, in early spring, Susan surprised me with a gift of a 5 year journal with daily writing prompts.  It has been so much fun and it will be terrific to see how I answer the same question on the same day from year to year. {check}

(3)  Read more.  Here is where I have failed.  I read a few good books but still have lots of reading to catch up on. Yet, I still buy books at Costco.  Whilst scanning the authors and titles today at Costco, I overheard a teenager say to his elementary aged brother, "How about you read all of the books that you already have and then buy a new book."  It was great advice for me!  lol  I will try to follow the wisdom of this young fellow.  ;)  {unsuccessful}

So this brings me to this new year upon us.  The thing that comes to my mind is the same old thing that I think of most years..... discipline.  Oh, to be a more disciplined person.  One who eats more healthy, spends money more wisely, cooks terrific or at least edible suppers at least 6 night a week, always has the house ready for receiving and walks the dogs religiously weather permitting.  Who am I kidding?  I am never going to be this person.  So, this year I have decided to follow Rob's lead and not have any resolutions.  I know that I will never keep them.  So, this year I am just going to be happy being me.  I am always going to be a person on a tangent.  It is who I am.  I like to think that it contributes to my creative energy.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  ;)

I will leave you with my favourite LO's for 2012 and I wish you all a wonderful 2013 with much happiness, love and scrappy adventures too!  :)












Jen




12 comments:

  1. I've loved looking through your favourites for 2012. Wishing you all the best for 2013 and hope all your dreams come true :-). I've just posted my favourite layouts for the year too!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of your favorite LO's. I don't think I could pick a favorite of yours. I love them all! You made some good points. I hope this next year is a great year for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely collection of layouts!! My fave is "Baby Tom". Happy New Year! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your post and it has inspired me to 'reel in' some of my ideals about resolutions as well. i think the best thing I can do is enjoy being me, and maybe the rest of the stuff will come around. I also LOVE all your scrappy pages, some of my favorites too! I also posted my top 12 for 2012! Happy New year! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post - I want to scraplift all 12 of those layouts. And I too buy books at a greater rate than I read them, self-discipline not my strong suit either. Bless the mom of that wise teenager, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It certainly was a big year for you jennifer both good and bad, I hope your 2012 is uplifting for you, thanks for sharing those layouts, always love visiting here for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great choices Jennifer!! I always love the layering and clustering on your pages!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post and our reflections on 2012. I totally agree with you "Life is Good". The trials just make us stronger. Thank you for your friendship over the past few years. I wish you and your loved ones peace and joy for 2013.

    PS The layouts you chose to showcase in this post are beautiful and in each of them you put the emphasis on the photo.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year Jen! I very much hope that 2013 holds plenty of good things for your and yours.

    Your round up of layouts really shows how you use colour so cleverly in every page you make. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the projects you have chosen as your favourites! Wishing you the best for a wonderful 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love your work!! Gorgeous, gorgeous layouts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great post, Jen! Good for you for remembering your resolutions - I sometimes think about making them, but never do. Cliff and I have started attending church, so this year I've decided to make some resolutions around that. I also really want to scrap...and maybe even blog? I think my top 3 of your top 12 are "Smile", "Today", and "Robin". I just love your style. Thanks for some inspiration today! I must admit I've spent about 3 hours scrapping in the last 5 months, and that makes me sad...clearly I need to shift my priorities! :) Have an awesome day, and happy new year! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...