Saturday, March 30, 2013

Backyard Visitors

As Spring slowly approaches Alberta, the bird community returns.  I am thrilled that it is warm enough to leave my window opened so I can hear the birds chirping away throughout the day.  Best music ever!  Today I heard the familiar honking of the Canadian Geese.  It makes me happy.

In the past week I have been trying to capture a photograph of my newest bird couple hanging out at the bird feeder.  They are from the Finch family.... the Common Redpoll.  I had only ever seen one once in the house I lived in before so it is quite exciting to have them come daily to feed.

The female looks similar to a Sparrow except she has a red patch on her head.  The male has a beautiful red head and pinkish breast.  Eventually I will get a good photo and I have the Big Guy on the job too. ;)

Here's the back view of the male.


With this one I finally got a good view of him but I was shooting into the sun and the photo had a weird blue look to it.  I boosted up the colour and hope to scrap it as a funky LO.  But... I really want an authentic photo for my bird album.


And one last photo of shadow.  I love how the shadow is behind the actual branches of the tree.


Wishing you all a wonderful Spring day filled with the beauty of nature.  :)

Jen

3 comments:

  1. I saw a Robin for the first time yesterday!!! I was SO excited as I know spring is coming for sure. :) The geese are honking here. I saw one standing near the pond yesterday when out on a walk. I think we may have the same kind of bird here too. I think I have seen those before. Not warm enough for windows to be left open quite yet. But yesterday's almost 50 was a welcoming sight!! Today it's raining and in the 30's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos...I hope the warmer weather will be with you soon. Here in South Africa we are experiencing the first chilly weather...and I have a pot of soup on the stove.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had our kitchen window open this morning and were listening to the birds. It's such a nice sound after the long winter we've had. Today it really felt like Spring! I saw two geese fly over our place yesterday - always a good sign that the warm weather is here, hopefully to stay. I like that funky bird photo!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...