Thursday, March 21, 2013

Getting Green

Lately I have been trying to up my efforts in being a little bit more green.  I go through phases where I do quite well and then I slip back into my not so green ways.  In 2009, I was making some of my own cleaners, carefully sorting all waste making sure to recycle everything possible and putting what we could in our organic pick up.  So I am back on the green tangent and hoping that I can keep myself a little more motivated this time to actually make it a way of life.  I know that we have a long way to go but I am going to consider every small effort a success!

So in an effort to keep this state of mind alive and kicking, I figured that I will do the odd "green post" here on the blog.  No worries, scrappy stuff will still be the focus.  I'll just share the odd success and some failures too I'm sure.

So this green effort was a really fun and easy one.


 I love to burn votive candles and tea lights.  I usually go the cheap route and buy the paraffin wax ones at Ikea.  They don't always burn clean.  They are a petroleum product.  Sometimes if I have been burning them lots, I will notice soot on plastic surfaces such as plastic laundry baskets and garbage containers. It really makes me realize what I am putting into the air of my home.

Beeswax candles are totally organic and natural and they burn clean.  A 100% cotton wick helps too!


I ordered these from an Etsy shop owned by a couple out of Toronto, Canada.


Here's to clean candle burning!

Jen

3 comments:

  1. They look so pretty..much more "natural" looking than the Ikea ones.

    And your no buying campaign..I think that's pretty green

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look wonderful!! I don't like the soot that comes off the candles either. I haven't really lit any in awhile.. just more for show. LOL I need to be on the look out for better candles. Yes, your no shopping is a pretty green thing.. using what you have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOOhhh! I love those pretty candles.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...