Friday, July 5, 2013

Finding Treasure

Thrifting is a relatively new passion of mine.  There is something that is just so much fun about heading down to the thrift shop to look for treasure.  You never know what you might find.  Some days are a total bust but then other days you get the big reward.  This week I found my best treasure ever!

Behold the lamp....


Here's the story.  I loved her from the moment I spotted her.  I admired her.  Walked away and then returned to admire her some more.  She was priced at $5.00.  Her shade was ripped and worn but that would be an easy thing to replace.  I came home without her but decided to drag Rob down to the shop for his opinion.  Well, Rob doesn't always see the beauty in the old relics the way I do.  He doesn't quite get what makes me so happy about this find.  But, the decorating is always my department and therefore I get final decisions.  ;)  So the lamp came home.  Oh, and it was half price on housewares so she cost me $2.50!  Score.  :)

We bought three lamp shades before we found the right tone.  It is a Wal-Mart special at $6.  I figure if I ever spy a better one, I am fine with donating this shade to charity and losing the $6.  I think I did pretty good for a total $8.50 investment.

So what do I love about this lamp?  Well, I love the painted flowers.  I love the autumn colours.  I love the glazed effect at the top and bottom of the base.  I love the circular gold band around the bottom base.  I guess it is circa 1970 something.  I can see it sitting in someone's living room many decades ago.  Maybe in a room filled with harvest gold furniture or maybe that awesome olive green that was so popular back then.


I wanted to place my new found treasure in the living room so I could admire it more often throughout the day.  Rob opted for a basement home.  What?  LOL  After photographing it upstairs, I realize that it is a bit too light for our decor, so in the basement it will stay..... for now anyway.  Who knows, down the road I may have furniture that would suit it better.  I love the mix of old and new in a room.  It gives it character and originality.

I'll leave you with a photo I took this morning of one hungry little one. "Feed me Mama!"


Have a great weekend!

Jen

3 comments:

  1. That lamp really is beautiful. Maybe it would look nice in the spare bedroom since there's lots of gold in there? The photo of that bird is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should link this up on Sunday..you have described why you like it so much you have turned it into a "precious"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your find is truly a treasure. I love the photo of your baby bird.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...