Friday, January 31, 2014

Some Assembly Required

Susan and I got together recently to finally join our granny squares for our afghans.  I hadn't a clue how this was done, so Susan had to show me the way.


Susan came prepared with a chart.


I thought that my "numbered piles of squares" method would work.  Apparently,  I was wrong.  By the second row I had mixed something up along the way and had to juggle colours around for about three more rows until the problem righted itself.  A new lesson learned here.  When big sister says you need to make a chart, make a chart.  ;)

Maggie was in her glory, surrounded by blankets.


Susan had her favourite assistant helping her.   I am so inspired by Susan's blanket.  She was going for a stained glass look.  I think it is so stunning!


My blanket will have a somewhat rustic homespun look.  Since the squares do not share a common border colour, the joining stitches show.  I will be adding a border around the entire blanket in the same cream colour to tie in the stitching.  It was interesting to notice that as I continued to make squares, they became larger.  I guess as I relaxed in the process,  my tension also relaxed.  Now that I have mastered the basic granny square,  my next blanket will have multi-coloured squares with a common border colour.  At this point I still have a few rows of joining to complete, as well as the final border.  I am already planning my next blanket,  but more on that later.  I'm thinking vibrant and it just may end up going to my vibrant girl.... Lisa.  There is just something great about the basic traditional granny square afghan.  A timeless classic.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Jen

3 comments:

  1. What a fun thing to do together with a friend. I am sure it is going to be beautiful and keep you nice and warm xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are really speaking to me with this! My "how to crochet beginners guide" arrived from Amazon yesterday and I'm looking forward to getting started. Your blankets are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness, how sweet is that picture of your little Lady and Susan ! I couldn't help but smile when I saw it :-)
    I can't wait to see what the final blanket will look like. I really love the colours you've chosen for yours. Although it's the same basic granny squares, yours and Susan's will look completely different. Susan's is looking so nice. You ladies are really talented.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...