Sunday, September 21, 2014

Best Vintage Treasure Ever

Anyone who has followed my blog for some time will know that I am smitten with the 70's.  I just can't help it.  Maybe it is because I was a teenager during this time.  Maybe it is because I love an autumn palette and let's face it, harvest gold and avocado green were the "go to" colours of the 70's.  While thrifting, I am always on the lookout for 70's decor.  I figure that my window of finding these treasures is limited.  Many who have owned this period of decor may be passing on.  I guess this is how I end up finding said treasures in the thrift shops.  I am happy to scoop them up and give them a second life and the love they deserve.  I love mixing in a touch of the old stuff to give my home a more original look.

Last week while thrifting with Susan at The County's Clothesline I came upon a set of milk glass bedroom lamps.  They needed a bit of work and I debated leaving them behind.  Susan convinced me to pick them up as I would end up laying in bed that night thinking that I really should have gotten them only to return the next day to likely find them gone.  They were priced at $3.50 a lamp but it was half off on housewares that day so I ended up getting the pair for that price.  I really had nothing to lose.

Here they are in all their glory.


Notice the yucky plug in cords, mismatched switches and dirt in the crevices of the glass.  Overall still in great shape considering their age.  Maybe these lamps date back to the 60's?  I associate them with the 70's because we had a similar set growing up.  Here's the proof.


Notice that little lamp on the corner of the dresser.  That is me at about 10 or 11 years old.  I think that is a Helen Reddy album on my dresser too.  I am woman!  LOL

So Rob got to work replacing the sockets, cords and switches.  Thank you to my sweetie!  We even found a petrified moth circa 1973.  While dismantled I gave the milk glass a good scrubbing in the kitchen sink.  I debated spray painting the gold base black to make it look more like the ones we had growing up, but in the end decided to keep them original.  They would match my bedroom better this way.



Look at those fancy new cords!


Here's their new home on my bedroom dresser!


I am beyond excited  to own these!


This frame was my grandmother's and is likely older than these lamps.

Here they are lit up!


Not bad for an initial outlay of $3.50 along with $17 worth of parts.  I can't wait to see these glowing in my bedroom on long winter nights.  I love the touch of nostalgia it adds to the room.  I think this is my best vintage find to date.

Jen

3 comments:

  1. What a bargain!

    I was at my Mum's yesterday and was able to tell her that I keep spotting pictures in style magazines of her collection of pyrex kitchenware.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, they look really great! I'm so glad you got them. I could see that tortured indecision in your face while we were at the thrift shop and knew you had to buy them. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Score! And kudos to the handy fella too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...