Friday, September 26, 2014

Retro Kitchen Enthusiast

I am coming to believe that the "old stuff" is far better than the "new stuff".  Maybe this means that I am getting old and this is just a typical thing coming out of the mouth of a 50 year old. ;)  I think that my realization is particularly true of kitchen goods.  My thrifting has found me some amazing old kitchen supplies.

Last year I found these amazing Pyrex "Butterfly Gold" mixing bowls at our Antique Mall in Edmonton.  This is an amazing space with hundreds of venders.  It is the place to go if you are looking for something specific for your collection.  Of course the prices are higher since all of the searching is done for you and you also don't get that thrill of the hunt with a rock bottom price.  But still....


Happily, yesterday I came upon the large bowl for my set.  It is the "cinderella" style with the small handles but it is close enough.  I am super excited about this set.  I never owned a set of good Pyrex bowls.  I had an industrial metal set that Rob bought at our local hardware store in the small town of Okotoks in the early 80's.  They were really light and would spin around like crazy when you used the hand mixer with them.  I finally got rid of them when we moved into the condo four years ago and got myself a melamine set at Costco.  They are pretty but they have nothing on Pyrex.  These are epic!  Here's the complete set.


Not only did I find my bowl but I found this amazing butter dish!  I love that it has a lid and of course that it is gold!  It was a steal at $6.40.  I'm hosting Thanksgiving this year and this will be on the table for certain.


Today Rob and I went thrifting in Edmonton and I was pretty excited to find these two small Pyrex pieces for $2 each.  (Rob doesn't quite get the thrifting thing or why I get super excited finding these things. Ha) They are just the perfect size to put a leftover piece of lasagna in.  I love the avocado green in the "Crazy Daisy Spring Blossom" pattern.


I guess you could call me a retro kitchen enthusiast.  They just don't make it like they used to.  I love to add another touch of the 70's in my home.  Yay!  Stay tuned for more of "That 70's Tangent" in future posts where I will spotlight other 70's thrifted finds that give my home a bit of a retro vibe.

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend.  :)

Jen

4 comments:

  1. I love these pictures! What with "That 70's Show" being rerun on tv here, and a big four page article o retro kitchens in a magazine I picked up this week, I'm really in the mood for some pyrex love. I'm going to have to persuade my Mum to let me photograph hers now I think. It's wonderful that you found that bowl to make your set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I wish we lived closer. It would be so fun to go antiquing/thrifting with you. :) Seeing all of these pieces conjures up memories of the past. My mother had a Corelle set of dishes that had a very similar pattern to your last pieces you featured. Both my mother and grandmother had some of the pyrex bowls above. I have a set of the shallow, white square ones with clear lids with the blue flowers on the two sides. They each have a different flower pattern. One was my father's mother's, and the other I found a few years ago. I had to grab it because it was similar to the one I have. It might have something to do with age. I have been enjoying seeing pieces like this. I don't get them as I don't know what I would do with them. I am really trying to pare down things here. But, I do love looking. I have seen a lot of milk glass the few times I have been out. I wanted to pick up some, but again, I didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh we love Pyrex at my house - well, I fondly remember Mom's set that ended up in my sister's hands. She does use it and now the set for 4 is down to one. Here's a post I did on them. http://snapsandsnippets.blogspot.com/2011/05/colors-of-comfort.html

    I am sometimes amazed at the prices that a full set in good condition can fetch.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...