Friday, October 10, 2014

That 70's Tangent ~ A Slippery Slope

Well it's another Pyrex kind of post.  I know, Pyrex seems to be taking over my life as of late.  It's all part of being a tangent kind of person.  So in my last Pyrex post I had said that I was looking for that last bowl to complete the eclectic bowl set.  I did find the perfect bowl.  I found this Crazy Daisy bowl at my favourite Goodwill in Edmonton for $4.


The set is complete!


But now the bowls seem to be multiplying.  They're morphing into new combinations of new bowl sets.  I couldn't pass up the large Woodland Brown bowl to match the small Woodland Brown bowl.  It was only $4 and in really great condition.


But you see where this is leading.  There could be a full set of Woodland Brown bowls and then I'd have to look for another small bowl to replace the small bowl in the eclectic set which would now be part of the Woodland Brown set.  I'm on a slippery slope.  I have been shuffling around kitchen cupboard space to accommodate these bowl families.  How many Pyrex bowls does one household of two people need?  I don't want to be one of those Pyrex hoarders who has bowl displays in their living room and 12 high bowl towers at each doorway acting as a doorstop.  ;)  Maybe this helps to rationalize the bowls as actually having a function.  It's not normal to run from thrift shop to thrift shop looking for bowls to buy.  It's not normal to set up Pyrex displays and photograph them.   Is there a support group out there for this?

I do realize what I am doing here.  I am collecting Pyrex of beautiful colours and patterns the way I used to collect scrapbooking paper.  But bowls are heavy and bulky and take up lots of space.  On the upside, thrifting bowls is actually cheaper than buying scrapbooking supplies.  LOL  I was coming to grips with facing my addiction.  Recognition is the first step, right?

I came home with this casserole dish complete with lid.


I just couldn't pass it up for $4. It is beautiful with it's shiny gold pattern of acorns and leaves!  But really, I already have one Pyrex casserole dish in the same size. (Which by the way it turns out,  the lid does not match. Daisies are different from olives.  How did I not see this?  Susan pointed it out.  Good thing I love eclectic.) So now I have two Pyrex casserole dishes as well as my regular modern day set of three and you know what,  I don't make casseroles!  Rob hates foods touching,  so we are pretty much a meat and potatoes kind of family.  I told myself that this insanity has to stop.  Why do I seem to have this magnetic force pulling me to the thrift shop because there might be some Pyrex there that is amazing.  Then Rob asked me, "Jen, what are you trying to replace in your life with Pyrex?"  That was a pretty deep question.  I'm not sure!  I was coming to grips with the fact that I just need to stop.  Walk away from the thrift stores.  So what if Sherwood Park is opening up a Goodwill store next week.  I don't need to go.  I mean really, if I never completed my Corelle dish sets, I would still have enough dish ware for life.  I was feeling strong.  I had a cup of tea.  Still strong.  Then I decided to just peek on the internet to see if I could identify  the pattern in my LAST ever purchased Pyrex casserole dish.


What!?  Turns out it is unofficially called " Golden Acorn",  produced in 1960 and retired by 1963-64.  Wow that's old, older than me!  Maybe it's rare!  I really scored!  Yay me!  I love thrifting and I love Pyrex and I think I might need help!  LOL

Here's an advertisement from March 1960 featuring my dish.



Jen

5 comments:

  1. Oh, please don't stop! I'm enjoying the story of your collecting too much

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you've found some really great pieces and for such a good price!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I have to tell you, I too am enjoying the Pyrex bowl tangent. You have me wanting to go shopping for old pyrex goodies. :) If Greg didn't need help tomorrow putting in the new windows, I know where I would be. :) Brit and I would have a blast hitting different thrift shops. I really am glad you are blogging again. I really do enjoy reading your posts. They are so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. bringing back memories of my childhood

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you are addicted and not me. I'm only addicted to seeing these posts! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...