Wednesday, November 19, 2014

That 70's Tangent ~ These Little Gems and a Recipe (of sorts)

In my attempt to bring just a touch of the 70's into my home,  I was thrilled to find this little cutie.


There weren't many kitchens in this time period that didn't have a ceramic frog by the sink holding the SOS pad of course.  (Although I have to admit that my mother never owned one.)  I found this one at The Antique Mall for $8.  It does have a small crack on the inside which makes me love it even more.  I know that it was put to good use for many years.  I love the green shades and the layering and depth in the finish tells me that it was done by a very experienced ceramics maker.  Her expertise really brought out the details of his little hands.

Last week I was thrifting at The Goodwill near Susan's house, which by the way is the best thrift shop where I seem to score the best stuff.  I came upon these beauties.


They were only $2 each.  I couldn't pass them up and so home they came with me.  The finishing work on them does not have the same detail and expertise as my green frog.  I'm guessing that they may have been done by a first timer in the ceramics class.  Or maybe they were done by someone like me who is a little bit shy of the wet mediums.  For this reason, when I look at them I think that just maybe this is what I would have produced in ceramics class back in the 70's.


Historically, the ladies kept Comet in the mushroom for easy sink clean up.  I rarely use Comet in my effort to be just a bit green.  Here's an organic recipe from "The Organically Clean Home" by Becky Rapinchuk.  It is an amazing way to clean your sink with no chemicals or harm to the environment.  She calls it Lemon and Clove Nightly Sink Scrub.  Who scrubs their sink nightly?  I don't!  haha

So basically, you mix up 2 cups (one small box) of baking soda with 10 drops of lemon essential oil and 10 drops of clove essential oil.  (Remember that essential oil is not the same as fragrance oil.)  So I give these three things a good mix up in a Pyrex bowl, of course.  Put the mixture into a container with holes in the top.  If you don't have a crazy looking ceramic mushroom from the 70's just use a small canning jar and drill or hammer in some nail holes at the top.  When you want to clean your sink, nightly hahah..... just wet your sink and then sprinkle this deliciously smelling powder all over.  Then take a sponge and wet it and give it a little squirt of your dish washing soap.  I use Seventh Generation free and clear so that I am just smelling the lovely mix of lemon and clove.  This dish soap is reasonably priced at between $3.50 and $4 a bottle.  It also seems to bubble better than many "green" detergents and therefore goes a long way.  It takes awhile to get through a bottle.


Give your sink a little scrub and enjoy the terrific aroma as well as a shiny clean and fresh sink.  Feel happy that you didn't flush any chemicals and bleach down into the water system!  Yay!  If you feel adventurous go down to your health food store and check out the selection of essential oils and choose your own combination to make an aroma that makes you want to scrub your sink... nightly?  Never!  LOL

Jen

2 comments:

  1. Haha! Every time I see "70's tangent" in the title I hurry to see what you have found. The glaze on the frog is just so...70's! Like the mugs my Mum used to have

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love to see the bits and pieces of history you find. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...