Sunday, December 28, 2014

2014 in Review

As 2015 approaches, reflections of this past year are running through my mind.  It was a busy year with some ups and some downs.  That is after all,  just the way life is.  But all in all I can't complain and have to say that it really is a beautiful life.

It was a strange year on the crafty front.  I have to say that the knitting rocked.  I may not have really widened my knitting horizons but I did get lots of it accomplished.  More important than the accomplishment was the enjoyment and relaxation that knitting provides for me most every day.  My knitting for charity always fulfills me but this year I was also able to knit for some people in my life and that felt really good too.


Then there is the scrappy front.  I usually post my top 10 favourite pages at this time of year.  Hmmm I'm not sure that I even created 10 LO's this year.  I will share my favourite page though.  Loved everything about this one.


Looking onto 2015, what are the plans and the goals?  I stopped making huge resolutions a few years ago like treadmill 5 times a week and eating more fruit and yogurt.  Who am I kidding, about 14 days in I'm going to be wanting the Starbuck's scone and some time knitting instead!  But, I do have a few thoughts for this new year.

Firstly, I want to scrapbook more.  I want to get back into my love of everything paper.  I want to create beautiful pages again.  I want to wake up some mornings with the excitement that it is "an artists day", which means I might wear P.J's all day and just create.  I want to lose sleep again being a tortured artist, where my mind spins all night with creative possibilities.  I think to get my mojo going again, I need to fully set up my studio again.  I need my supplies surrounding me to inspire me.  This might be happening soon.  I also want to begin my art journaling project.  I have been collecting ideas and memorabilia and I just need to get going on it.

Second on the list is to be a more responsible consumer.  This means being more conscious of what I buy, where I buy it and even how it is packaged.  I strive to buy less.  I really don't need much these days.  I often buy things that I don't really need or I get tired of.  Buying home decor is a weakness of mine. I never throw anything out and things always get donated, but still there is an improvement needed here.  Can I live a more minimal lifestyle? Can I buy less Pyrex?  LOL  Maybe not?  I love buying things at the thrift stores.  I like the idea of giving something a second life.  I like buying something that is old and is no longer available.  I love that many of these items are made in the USA or even Canada!  I love that these items were made with pride and have quality to them. They also don't come with a bunch of packaging.  Oh packaging.  There are so many ways I could improve my footprint that I will leave on this earth.

This brings me to my third and last goal... be a greener person.  This is always something that I have rolling around in my head but I know I can do much better.  Where we live we have a huge recycling program and we even collect "organics".  87% of our waste is diverted from the landfill.  I need to use this program to it's fullest.  Some things get put in garbage over organics in the name of convenience.  I can improve.


But I need to go further than this.  I need to look at packaging before I buy something. Like those little puddings that have about 4 mouthfuls and then the plastic container goes into recycling.  Not worth it.  I can also cut down on packaging in the cleaning department by making more of my own cleaners.  I have an amazing book of recipes that I need to use more.  It is a step in the right direction to buy green cleaners but if I make my own I am not using all of that plastic.  Well, these thoughts are just the tip of the iceberg on how I can live a greener life.  But, any small step in the right direction is a good thing.  I hope to improve.

So that's it for 2015.  I realize that #1 of "scrapping more" may cause some conflict with #2 of "buying less".  LOL  Back to my old dilemma of buying too much scrappy stuff.  I really do have so much to use up and hope to make a serious dent in the supplies I have.  Wish me luck as often my inspiration comes from a trip to the scrapbook store resulting in a bag full of the new stuff.  ;)

Wishing you all a very Happy New Year!

Jen


5 comments:

  1. A very happy New Year to you too.

    I've really enjoyed reading about your knitting projects this year and so, although I wish you all the very best with some more scrapping - if the knitting stays, I'll still be reading :) And of course, the pyrex - it has to stay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to seeing what you are up to in 2015. I've been thinking about being a better consumer as well. My best bet is to be so busy that I don't have time to shop for anything but the necessities. How is that for a plan? Happy New Year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have enjoyed seeing all of your knitting projects. And of course, it has been truly wonderful to be receiving them. We love each and every item you have made for us and wear them with pride. Weather has turned super cold here (about 5 pm tonight it was -6*F) and Brit was donning her cowl you sent her. :) Mittens worn by all. :)

    The pyrex comment made me chuckle. I am not sure you could give up your pyrex shopping. :)

    It will be fun to see what you make in the scrapping dept. I always enjoy seeing your pages. I need to make an effort this next year to do something with my space.. get in there and make things.

    Wishing you and Rob a very Happy New Years!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking forward to your scrapping more resolution. You are a wonderful creative person and you rock at making gorgeous pages....so here's to 2015 and all the beauty it brings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hah, one of my goals is to scrap more (for some quality 'me' and 'creativity' time)....and I'm totally with you on the 'buy less' front too, having been clearing our home of *stuff* for the past few months.....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...