Friday, December 19, 2014

Christmas Baking

So does it count as "baking" if the only oven used in making two different recipes was the warming of a crust in one recipe?  There was a day when I loved to spend an afternoon in the kitchen baking up a storm.  Now, not so much.  But, every Christmas I pretend to be that domesticated good mom and make the girls each their favourite Christmas treat from when they were little.  They can enjoy a bite at dinner and then bring the leftovers home to their own places.

Lisa's favourite is Millionaire Squares.  They get their name from the richness of the square.  They have a crust made from crushed oatmeal cookies.  The middle is a chocolatey fudge mixture.  Then you sprinkle some reserved crumbs from the bottom mixture on top.


Diane's favourite is Cherry Balls.  These babies don't involve any baking at all.


Here's the recipe if you are looking for a quick and festive holiday treat.

Cherry Balls

Mix up:

3 cups of icing sugar
1/2 cup butter
3 tsp. milk
1 tsp. almond flavouring
2 cups coconut

Drain a jar of maraschino cherries.  Next wrap the mixture from above around each cherry.  Next roll each ball in graham wafer cracker crumbs.

These freeze really well.


Enjoy!

I'll leave you with a photo of little Thomas looking pretty excited that Santa will soon be here.

Jen

4 comments:

  1. Mmmm...these look really good. I've never had either of these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I forgot to say that, YES, it absolutely counts as baking! Can't wait to sample these tomorrow. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, that's the only kind of baking I really enjoy :)

    I hope he has a wonderful CHristmas

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe that baking is a super power that I don't have. I also believe that the ladies who bake for the home industries need to make a living. I do miss some of my favourite treats from my childhood tho....maybe I should invite my mom to bake :-P

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...