Friday, January 23, 2015

It's Pink!

I've finally found my first piece of "Solid Pink" Pyrex.  It was sitting on a shelf at The Goodwill near Susan's house.  It was in pretty rough shape with some marks on it and looking very dull.  It only cost $3 but that wasn't what drew me in to buy it.  It was made in Canada!  I never knew that Pyrex was made in Canada.  Apparently there was one plant that opened in 1946 in Ontario.  Who knew?


This piece is the casserole 024.  The "Solid Pink" series came out in 1956 and was discontinued by 1963.  I was born in 1964, therefore this piece is older than me.

A good scrubbing with Barkeeper's Friend got the marks off of it but the finish is still quite dull.  A nice coating of vegetable oil gives it a good shine.  This trick makes it beautiful for display purposes but since I hope to use this piece, I'll just embrace the dull finish as due to it's age and many years of use.  This leads me to wonder what dishes were served out of this dish decades ago and what would this deep, feminine, almost bedroom tone of pink be doing on kitchen Pyrex?  This is why.


and this...


and this...


and this.


I always thought that only Barbie had a pink kitchen.  Apparently not!  I guess it was very popular in the 1950's.  So the shade of this casserole makes total sense.

Update ~ Since writing this post I have found a duplicate in excellent shape.  However, it isn't made in Canada and so I am keeping both of them.  ;)


Jen

2 comments:

  1. My grandmother had a pink kitchen, until she remodeled it in the 70's. She and my grandpa built their house in 1959 so definitely in the pink era. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot imagine a pink kitchen...I do love that pretty vine thingy against your wall.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...