Saturday, February 21, 2015

Dreaming on Such a Winters Day

It's February in Alberta and there really isn't much to do.  It's when we start to get antsy for Spring to hurry up and get here.  We want to shed our outerwear and feel some sun on our faces without the burn of the winter wind that is.  It is the perfect time to visit the Lottery Show Homes and start some dreaming of what it would be like to win one.  Tickets are $100 and the chances are slim but it is an excellent donation that benefits Edmonton's hospitals and did I mention that it is really fun to dream.

There were three homes.  The first one was huge at almost 6100 square feet.  Very modern on the outside and I wasn't expecting to like the interior.


But I was so wrong.  I loved it and could totally live here along with all of its excesses and extravagance.  It had that minimalist look of the late 60's and early 70's and it had lots of gold!

Gold granite and gold tiles in the kitchen make me happy!


This sofa sat in the sunken living room.  Let's have a party!  Martinis anyone?


Who would think that these three pillows match but they do.


Check out this staircase.  Yummy.  Not conducive to grandchildren or seniors but remember, this is all a dream.  We aren't thinking of cracked skulls or ambulance trips to emergency.


I'm all set to move in once we win it.  Now all I need is a full time maid because this sucker would take about 8 hours a day, 5 days a week to keep clean,  a chauffeur to drive me around Edmonton because it is kind of away from everything and I'm too afraid to drive in Edmonton and of course an elevator operator to work the elevator.... yes there is an elevator in this house.

The second house was my second favourite.  It was very white with a very urban look to it.  The fixtures and furnishings had that look of Restorations Hardware store.  Not really my style at all but the main bedroom boasted a bird theme!

Check out this wallpaper!  Wasn't there a BG patterned paper out that was very similar to this?


There were pillows with birds on them and bird art prints.


The big draw of this house is the ice rink in the basement.  The floor is made of a plastic material that can be skated on and there is even a score keeping board.  My future grandchildren would love to play here!  ;)


The third house was ugggllly!  If we won this place and had to live in it for a year before selling,  I think I would cry every day.  ;)  It was super modern and graphic and mostly black and white.


Then there were pops of bright green and orange.  :(


The light fixtures were super shiny and super modern.  :(  There were even some water features in the walls that changed colours... all neon of course.  :(


The only thing that I really liked about this house was the baby in the bathtub.  Cutest little guy ever admiring his reflection in the silver drain cap.


But alas... he doesn't come with the house.  ;)

At the end of the day,  I came away with a decor idea.  It is the real reason I go to these show homes.   Now I will be on the hunt for a glass canister for my main bathroom.


When we arrived home, my house seemed freakishly small.  It's funny how that happens.  Here's to a simpler life sans elevators, ice rinks, water features in walls and endless cleaning and maintenance.  Home is where the heart is and I wouldn't have it any other way.... but it is still fun to dream on such a winters day.  :)

Jen

4 comments:

  1. I think you could definitely make that first house your own! So, is the idea that everyone buys a ticket and then the houses are given away to the winners? That sounds like fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you buy your ticket and can actually win one of the homes fully furnished. There are also cars in the driveways, motorcycles,bicycles, pianos, fitness equipment, trips with cash to go along. There is an early bird draw for a trip to London with $10,000 cash to spend and a car (Aston Martin). If we win that one we will pop over to Ireland and have a visit with you guys. ;)

      Delete
  2. Wow! I actually quite like the dark and neon features of the third house ;-) but I don't know that I would want to live there full-time either... I love the retro feel to the first one!! Man, it certainly would be nice to win a home, but I could think of better things to do with all that money while living in a modest but cozy home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I barely caught a glimpse of that first house, just seeing the tile and knew you would like it. LOL I am a model home junkie. I have been hopping the homes in the Twin Cities Parade of homes for about 24 years. Back then, my father had a house or two in the home show, which is still twice a year. In the past when the housing market was booming, there were around 1400 +/- homes in the showcase. It dropped to about 300 homes with in the last handful of years due to the housing crisis. At its peak, Greg and I would map out an area/neighborhood and drive out there and walk through all of the houses, then grab lunch in the area. You used to be able to park and walk to each house as they would fill a whole cul de sac. Now, it's a scatter house here and there. The kids and I go hit a few once in a while. Fun to do on a warm winter day with the sun shining, or in the fall and enjoy the last of the warm days, walking new neighborhoods---dreaming. I too take away ideas for my own house. I wouldn't want the huge homes. Like you said, you would spend your whole time cleaning it. I wouldn't want to pay the taxes on those places either.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...